+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on new spinning rod

Smallie Travis is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by HookRz View Post
    Maybe the weird feel of the 822ds was something I give enough time. Do you know why Loomis dumped the recoils on the new GLX? Maybe if they retool the Walleye GLX I'll grab one at the kind of price I like to pay.

BTW, I have a feeling you were a pretty great stick before the NRX was on the drawing board!
    Sir having had an inside track with a few rod companies but nowadays free from all of that I will relay the following. Guide trains are not always based on complete performance. After a rod manufacturer puts the R and D into a blank its composition, construction, handle to be used, at what price point they wish to unveil them at, what technique they are targeting and on and on guides are up for bid. Case in point not many rod companies offer their own line of guides. Kudos to Daiwa for a move in that direction with their AGS but is certainly the exception.

When the recoils were unveiled on the GLX specific technique offerings to include the TSR, single Bronzeback model, Walleye models and the hybrid guide train on the NRX those guides were new and a consumer buzz. Loomis is obviously moving away from their full guide train usage as evidenced by the new GLX as you noted and also the use of the spaces age Torzites on the new Conquest series.

It is a business of waves.

I will say that guides are so low on the scale as to what I give a tinkers dam@ about that I rarely have even cared. I lipped literally thousands of river bass with full recoil guide trains before going all in on NRX. My biggest like of them is that I've never broken one, ripped one off a blank, had one scar my line, groove or had to replace one. That's a good guide in my book.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my stick prowess. I can unequivocally type that for what I throw and how I fish NRX has made me better. A lot of saving, overtime, waiting for sales and careful thought for specific offerings went into building my present quiver. I would buy all of them all over again tonight. Best for my uses I've touched. One last one to gladly add.
    "Once a Marine always a Marine".
    River Rock Custom Baits
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse

Smallie HookRz is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the insight! I've always thought if myself as a "good enough" type rod guy but as I think about semi-retirement and consulting, or even a move to a more normal job, my thoughts go to spending money on "retirement" rods like some folks buy a retirement truck. I'm leaning towards customs, but I value all the input I can get, blank and guide wise. I will say guides do make a difference. Maybe not at the top of the list but compare Avid To Avid X. I fished Avid spinning for a lot of years do I hope you respect my opinion that the difference was an eye opener. Totally improved from the reel seat to the tip, and a disaster from the reel seat on down. But I fix that.

In the end I want balance, a comfortable grip, sensitivity, light weight, and my definition of proper aesthetics. Guide train most likely Fuji K style Torzites like on my legends. In fact if I could get a legend with a good grip it would be close to what I want. Y'know it seems like St. Croix has tried to accomplish something with the Extremes and Elites. I wish more manufacturers would concentrate on style. The guy wading a stream in a vest and camo cap doesn't really want the same flashy radical rod styling the guy at the bow of a sparkle boat in a patch covered fluorescent jump suit does!

If I'm a curmudgeon, so be it. I don't believe in reincarnation, but I would be for it if it were true.' In the next life I would probably be a fly fisherman if the Hindu concept of spiritual progression holds true.

Tight lines bro.
    Last edited by HookRz; 10-27-2017 at 06:41 AM.

Sir it does not come across as being curmudgeon like to me. I definitely "get it". Just very specific regarding what you are seeking. I can relate having been in the same hunt for a lot of years. You will get exactly what you are looking for when the time is right. You will be glad when it happens. This has been a strange year for me in that I haven't wanted to change a thing about my rod/reel choices across the board. It has left a void of sorts no longer studying rod/reel nuances but a good one in an effort to put energy into other directions of gear choice.
    River Rock Custom Baits

Appreciated!
    I hope that word is enough. I leave it to you with best regards, and look forward to reading your future comments. You do make a difference, I think you understand that. Making a difference is what it's all about.

Rz.
    Last edited by HookRz; 10-27-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Yearling Egall816 is on a distinguished road
    Travis, hook and everyone else you guys are truly a goldmine of extremely useful knowledge. I belong to another large bass forum, yes I do get a lot of good advice, but this forum this is exactly what I've needed. I spend more time in here then thr latter lately. When I first started this topic I would have never guessed how many diff rabbit holes it would have made. The thing is each one of them have been a wealth of knowledge for me so I truly thank. Everyone.

Always happy to help sir.

Thanks Hook. Appreciated. That is exactly what it is about for me.
    River Rock Custom Baits

Quote Originally Posted by Egall816 View Post
    Travis, hook and everyone else you guys are truly a goldmine of extremely useful knowledge. I belong to another large bass forum, yes I do get a lot of good advice, but this forum this is exactly what I've needed. I spend more time in here then thr latter lately. When I first started this topic I would have never guessed how many diff rabbit holes it would have made. The thing is each one of them have been a wealth of knowledge for me so I truly thank. Everyone.
    Thanks. If you took away anything from the conversation I hope it is that there is no one size fits all solution when it comes to rods, whether it's blanks, guides or grips. Some people appreciate balance, to some it doesn't matter. The most important thing is to find what's feels (and looks) best to you. The fun is in the hunt. Now go buy an Avid...lol...just kidding.

Yearling Egall816 is on a distinguished road
    Haha I wish I had a large supply of money who doesn't though. If I did I would literally have so many brands it would be horrifying. I keep checking hoping to see the old st croix ltb go on sale. I need to go to sft and handle a ton of rods and see from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Egall816 View Post
    Haha I wish I had a large supply of money who doesn't though. If I did I would literally have so many brands it would be horrifying. I keep checking hoping to see the old st croix ltb go on sale. I need to go to sft and handle a ton of rods and see from there.
    I agree with Travis about "Top O' the Line" models being better. And in the hands of a maestro like himself a Stradivarius indeed makes beautiful music. But I'm here to tell you a good enough fiddle is fine while to learn to play the tune. I'm a fiddle player myself most of the time. The most important piece of fishing gear is between your ears. Next is the connection from that piece to your hands. You have to develop it, if can't be bought. One pretty well known tournament pro I fished with/against a few times, Dave LeFebre, once told me something that showed he was wise beyond his years. He was about 19 or 20. "First you to learn the fish. The rest is just mechanics. Tackle is only a tool " the "kid" as we called him was dominating club an federation tournaments with tip broken rods, used reels, etc. No one was surprised at all when he rose to the top of the pro ranks.

Another vote for the St. Croix Avid. I have one, and love it. Great rod.

With that said, I've recently started buying Cabelas Pro Guide spinning rods. They come in whatever length/action combo you want, in either 1 or 2 piece. They have a fast tip, are light weight, and have an action very similar to the St. Croix. Not to mention they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty and cost only $30. You guys might laugh at me, but I don't feel a difference between the St. Croix and the cheapo. Well, maybe a tiny tiny difference, but it's certainly not $170 worth of difference.

+ Reply to Thread