+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: popping corks

Smallie VirginiaRiverGuy is on a distinguished road VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar
    The theory of the popping (or clacking) cork is that (sea) trout respond to a sound that suggests that a bunch of their buddies are busting up some bait near the surface ... the trout doesn’t want to miss out on the action and rushes to the scene of the crime.

Smallie blake is on a distinguished road
    Had some decent freshwater success with them on white/yellow bass and hybrids in tailwaters. Usually trailed with a 2-3 inch curl tailed grub about 3 ft back, sometimes tipped with a minnow. Although I think if I were to fish like that again, I would go with a pop-r with rear hook removed.

Small Fry Fairweatherfisherman is on a distinguished road
    One trick I learned when getting some short strikes, was to make a long cast and crank it in as fast as I could. They may miss the fly a time or two on the way in, but they tend to stay with it and eventually get a solid take. This was primarily white and hybrid bass, but the spots and largemouth schooling with them would exhibit similar behavior.

Smallie Peyton is on a distinguished road
    They're a great presentation over shallow grass, since in addition to working as an attractor, the float keeps your lure riding just above the snag zone. I work them "slow fast". Constantly popping and shaking but not moving it very far with each pop.

Smallie hookup is on a distinguished road hookup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRiverGuy View Post
    The theory of the popping (or clacking) cork is that (sea) trout respond to a sound that suggests that a bunch of their buddies are busting up some bait near the surface ... the trout doesn’t want to miss out on the action and rushes to the scene of the crime.
    Theory worked - specs didn't leave them alone. Along with blues & a lone puffer fish. Good eating fish too
    Bass fishermen watch Monday night football, drink beer, drive pickup trucks and prefer noisy women with big breasts.

Decent sized popper, with a wacky rigged senko 3-5' below it is one of my best presentations when smallies are suspended over deep water. The lake closest to me often has smallies 10-15' deep over 60-100 FOW. The popper/senko rig (I have used hair jigs as well) is a great way to catch them. There are a couple of very good InFisherman articles about the technique.

+ Reply to Thread