+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pony Bead Flukes

  1. #11
    Smallie VirginiaRiverGuy is on a distinguished road VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    1,941
    Using a TFO BVK7 and a Scott 8, Tom. Here’ a short vid I made. Gets pretty boring, but at the beginning you can see the “fly” better and how it moves in the water. https://youtu.be/AyKilagDU1k

  2. #12
    Smallie DanMarino is on a distinguished road DanMarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midway between Baltimore and Washington.
    Posts
    2,594
    Great video Mark. Thanks. I'll look into them. Looks weedless too.

  3. #13
    Smallie Pup is on a distinguished road Pup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRiverGuy View Post
    Using a TFO BVK7 and a Scott 8, Tom. Here’ a short vid I made. Gets pretty boring, but at the beginning you can see the “fly” better and how it moves in the water. https://youtu.be/AyKilagDU1k
    That is an interesting 'fly'. I've read some about them before. Have cast Johnson Silver Minnows in two-inch size, tipped with a plastic curly-tailed grub, for largemouth bass with so-so success. I am a long-time fisher of spoons like Z-Rays and wobblers, made by various manufacturers, for a variety of fish. There are much better lures for bass than moderately-retrieved spoons imo. Spoons are trout killers though, imo.

    Slab spoons work well for largemouth bass when jigged vertically under appropriate circumstances.

    Some of these may interest the fly rodder, looking to cast spoons: http://www.hofmannsluresinc.com/

    Saltwater tyers have definitely influenced me. One of the best tyers you used to find online is a fellow named Geoff Erlichman of Slidell, LA. His bucktail jigs are masterpieces imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    Pup you make some cool flies/lures. I would love to see some fish you catch on them. It's neat to see the variety of things that fish will eat.
    Mr. Marino, Thank you and I'll try to get in some FNF fishing this winter to post some fish pictures. It's about time to tie some more FNF jigs for that endeavor anyway.
    Last edited by Pup; 11-06-2017 at 03:32 PM.

  4. #14
    Excellent post^^^^ but shouldn't carp bait recipes be on "Other game fish"?
    "On the Seventh Day, God created Riverdog, the sort of result you often get when you go in to work on a Saturday."

  5. #15
    Smallie VirginiaRiverGuy is on a distinguished road VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    That is an interesting 'fly’ ... Some of these may interest the fly rodder, looking to cast spoons: http://www.hofmannsluresinc.com/
    To be honest Pup, IMO, those would flat-out suck on a fly rod. The beauty of spoon flies is, when well-executed, they give the action and characteristics of a spoon while as closely as possible maintaining the physics and aesthetics of fly fishing. All he’s done there is to downsize his jigging spoon and put a skirt onto them. Why, even a freak like Icepeep would cringe at slinging those things. Looks like they’d tend to get hung up a lot unless you tip them with a minnow.

  6. #16
    Smallie Pup is on a distinguished road Pup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRiverGuy View Post
    To be honest Pup, IMO, those would flat-out suck on a fly rod. The beauty of spoon flies is, when well-executed, they give the action and characteristics of a spoon while as closely as possible maintaining the physics and aesthetics of fly fishing. All he’s done there is to downsize his jigging spoon and put a skirt onto them. Why, even a freak like Icepeep would cringe at slinging those things. Looks like they’d tend to get hung up a lot unless you tip them with a minnow.
    Truth be told, I dislike casting any weighted fly.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRiverGuy View Post
    Why, even a freak like Icepeep would cringe at slinging those things. Looks like they’d tend to get hung up a lot unless you tip them with a minnow.
    I doubt if I could cast them more than 100'.

    I collect fly rod lures. Most of the fly spoons I have are extremely lightweight. They are made of thin metal and usually are pretty easy to cast. I probably have over 100 of them. The fly rod Dardevles are not easy to cast until you get down to the smallest one. The others are too thick and will give that snap at the end of all but the most delicately thrown casts. With most weighted 1/16th-1/4 ounce jigs, the more feathers they have to collect wind the easier they are to cast. The wind resistance helps them to settle more gently.
    "On the Seventh Day, God created Riverdog, the sort of result you often get when you go in to work on a Saturday."

  8. #18
    Smallie VirginiaRiverGuy is on a distinguished road VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Icepeep View Post
    I doubt if I could cast them more than 100'.

    I collect fly rod lures. Most of the fly spoons I have are extremely lightweight. They are made of thin metal and usually are pretty easy to cast. I probably have over 100 of them. The fly rod Dardevles are not easy to cast until you get down to the smallest one. The others are too thick and will give that snap at the end of all but the most delicately thrown casts. With most weighted 1/16th-1/4 ounce jigs, the more feathers they have to collect wind the easier they are to cast. The wind resistance helps them to settle more gently.
    SECURITY ALERT. Salt water guys are making them out of all kinds of crazy stuff. Guy I get them from will not divulge the material or method used.

  9. #19
    Small Fry tjm is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    SWMo.
    Posts
    6
    nice use of craft material

  10. #20
    Smallie Pup is on a distinguished road Pup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    nice use of craft material
    Thank you for your comment.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts