+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input from the seasoned river anglers here

Small Fry KeithinPA is on a distinguished road

Looking for input from the seasoned river anglers here

I've been lurking on this site for a little while and currently fish out of a kayak. As much as I love it, it's definitely a little limiting on a river the size of the Susquehanna. I stumbled upon this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mml-mRpTJeQ and was looking for some input from you on whether you felt this would be a viable option. I'd love to get a River Road or Rock Proof some day but right now that's not an option. I don't know the price on this yet but was curious to hear your thoughts.

I'd say save your money and buy a used boat with a jet. I bet that is over 10k new and even though it's 16ft it's not very user friendly. Being so narrow it's not gonna be stable especially with 2 people. You can find nice boats under 10k used.

Smallie blake is on a distinguished road
    I have Stealthcraft drift boat (purchased used), very well made and the company has been great about returning my calls/questions. No doubt the S3 would work (as would the similar Towee and Riverhawk/Gheenoe B-52). Although with a jet, displacement is a friend. Wider (and longer) means shallower draft, which is very important for the susky (more so than most rivers). A 1648 jet jon will be cheaper and easier to maintain, IMO.

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithinPA View Post
    I've been lurking on this site for a little while and currently fish out of a kayak. As much as I love it, it's definitely a little limiting on a river the size of the Susquehanna. I stumbled upon this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mml-mRpTJeQ and was looking for some input from you on whether you felt this would be a viable option. I'd love to get a River Road or Rock Proof some day but right now that's not an option. I don't know the price on this yet but was curious to hear your thoughts.
    Let me say this first... I don't like knocking another man's boat choice.
    Personally the narrow bottom is a deal breaker for me. Navigating the Susky or any other rocky river is unnerving enough without having the bad side to side wobble of a very narrow hull. I'm afraid the 25HP jet is underpowering this hull for two people.
    On the plus side is the drifter style complete with oars but there are better drifter style hulls out there... but not anywhere close to $10K. I doubt $10K would buy this hull.
    Its always tough to reinvent the wheel... and I mean there is a reason why the choice in rocky river hulls are in the 1860 class or near to it. A minimum of a 60/40 jet and some type of bottom protection is nice but not entirely necessary.
    Don't feel bad... a lot of people would like to have a top of the line inboard jet but its tough to cough up the cash.
    I suggest a G3 1656 is a better choice but Lowe makes some nice ones too.
    My brother is trying to sell his nearly new 2016 G3 1656. I bet it doesn't have 30 outboard hours on it. He has some accessories that go along with it and it is priced right too.
    He wants a panfisher style stick steer... which is what he should have bought instead of the G3. He isn't going to be happy until he owns one.

Ditto what the guys above said

You'd be surprised at the number of used jet boats that have never been pushed or abused...many are too afraid to use them. There are always cherry unabused jets that have all the bells and whistles for way less then what you'd spend on the stealthcraft.

I'd not buy that style stealthcraft unless money was no option and I just wanted a narrow jet that could haul me and my beer when the water was skinny...so skinny that I could drag it and push it when I was too lazy for the raft
    Team Hotbatch
    Team Yumling
    Team Wincos Erie Darter ripoff is the bomb
    Team Rocksleeper
    Hostess Pro Staff
    Krispy Kreme staff member
    Gurkha Stoagie field tester

Small Fry KeithinPA is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all the input guys. That's why I posed the question here. I guess I'll keep saving my pennies.

Here is a real nice first boat for a real fair price... https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bo...366989246.html

Add this dude koyham123456 to your ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by KeithinPA View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. That's why I posed the question here. I guess I'll keep saving my pennies.
    I have been where you are... wanting a legit rocky river hull and not having the cash to make it happen.
    One of the members here put me onto an unadvertised 1754 JRJ at a real nice price. I couldn't pass it up. I have been absolutely pleased with the boat in every aspect.
    Even the wife enjoys the boat... we are headed to Brunswick later this morning.
    I agree with ogbudha... consider a used jet.
    Many of them have not been used much and have a lot of extras already on them.
    There is a good chance you can find a custom jet that sold in the $20K range new that will outperform any new production jet. The one posted by Roger B is a good example. That Snyder is priced where it should be and Snyder is a well respected hull maker.
    I believe you can trust the members on this forum not to screw you on a used jet.

Smallie reb9 is on a distinguished road reb9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ogbudha View Post
    Ditto what the guys above said

You'd be surprised at the number of used jet boats that have never been pushed or abused...many are too afraid to use them. There are always cherry unabused jets that have all the bells and whistles for way less then what you'd spend on the stealthcraft.
    When you see these cherry's send me a text. I'm in the market for a 17 foot tunnel - unabused....... You know, like mine or better..... And mine has lots of boat rash..........

REB
    REB9

SH Fishing sticks are the bomb
    GLISS line is amazing stuff
    Woodford Reserve Pro Staff
    Smithwick Rogue's rock
    Team JRJ

+ Reply to Thread