+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floating Finesse Worms

Smallie Pup is on a distinguished road Pup's Avatar

Floating Finesse Worms

Here are three finesse-style worms tied for river smallmouth bass fishing. Their major components are chenille yarn, latigo lace, craft fur and pony beads. Remember well that pony beads float in water. A fishing suggestion appears on the right side of my vise platform.

Bring some toothpicks along for pegs when fishing these as they can make a bullet weight adjustable in its position along the line.

Smallie DanMarino is on a distinguished road DanMarino's Avatar
    Awesome Pup! You cast those with spinning gear, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    Awesome Pup! You cast those with spinning gear, right?
    Thanks and yes, I'd cast them with spinning gear. The bullet sinkers pictured weigh about 1/16 of an ounce. More lures to field test this spring.

Smallie blake is on a distinguished road
    Good looking Pup. I like water gremlins bullshot for bullet weights (they are pinch on, like split shot, but stand up to repeated open/closing cycles better). Might be worth it, while playing around with weight placement.

Thank you Blake and I'll look into the Water Gremlin Bullshot the next time I'm over at the local tackle shop on the river. Possibly, this week.

Tonight's tie...another finesse worm.

This one has a nice shimmy in hand and it rattles. Length is approximately four inches. Its hook is a bronze, 1/0 sproat.

Smallie HookRz is on a distinguished road
    I'd be interested in seeing hand tied Ned's sorta like that. Nice work.

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    Here are three finesse-style worms tied for river smallmouth bass fishing. Their major components are chenille yarn, latigo lace, craft fur and pony beads. Remember well that pony beads float in water. A fishing suggestion appears on the right side of my vise platform. Bring some toothpicks along for pegs when fishing these as they can make a bullet weight adjustable in its position along the line.
    These look great. I have often caught fish by floating a lightly weighted worm with my spinning rig.
    Being I'm not a fly tyer where do I buy some of these?... or are they too simple not to make myself?

Thank you, HookRz and Doug, for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug25427 View Post
    Being I'm not a fly tyer where do I buy some of these?... or are they too simple not to make myself?
    I'm pretty certain that no one has designed and tied these other than me. I am their originator. Currently, I'm not in business to sell them, although I do appreciate your interest.

They are simple to make with a little practice. Certain types of fly tying vises are better suited for making these. The choice of vise becomes clearer with tying experience across a number of different vises. If looking to learn, I'd recommend mastering a 'whip finish by hand' finishing knot before attempting to tie these.

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup View Post
    Thank you, HookRz and Doug, for your comments.

I'm pretty certain that no one has designed and tied these other than me. I am their originator. Currently, I'm not in business to sell them, although I do appreciate your interest.

They are simple to make with a little practice. Certain types of fly tying vises are better suited for making these. The choice of vise becomes clearer with tying experience across a number of different vises. If looking to learn, I'd recommend mastering a 'whip finish by hand' finishing knot before attempting to tie these.
    I have never failed to catch a fish or two off a rig similar to the ones you make. Too bad you don't produce a few to sell but I can see if you did that's all you would get done. I have my fingers into so much I just can't take on another fishing related task especially one I'd have to start from scratch.

+ Reply to Thread