+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New ride

Small Fry Bran is on a distinguished road

New ride

First, thanks for a great forum, I've been looking around the last few weeks and you have a wealth of experience here! I fish primarily in southern VA, and then a little in western NC and East TN.
    Mostly I flyfish for Smallies, but I love to catch them on anything. I have been looking for a river boat to suit first, my budget, and second, the local waterways and flyfishing. I settled just recently with a
    Lowe Roughneck 1660 Pathfinder. It has the tunnel hull, and I went with the 60/40 Merc Jet, and the "Heavy Duty" option for the 125 GA hull and heavy chines. So far I've had it out 3 times and it looks like it's
    going to be a great rig for years to come!! P.S. Cabela's has some great sales going because they have to change over to the BPS Tracker line of boats, plus they give a good veteran's discount on top of the sales. Boat.jpgBoat3.jpgBoat.jpgBoat3.jpg

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    First, thanks for a great forum, I've been looking around the last few weeks and you have a wealth of experience here! I fish primarily in southern VA, and then a little in western NC and East TN.
    Mostly I flyfish for Smallies, but I love to catch them on anything. I have been looking for a river boat to suit first, my budget, and second, the local waterways and flyfishing. I settled just recently with a
    Lowe Roughneck 1660 Pathfinder. It has the tunnel hull, and I went with the 60/40 Merc Jet, and the "Heavy Duty" option for the 125 GA hull and heavy chines. So far I've had it out 3 times and it looks like it's
    going to be a great rig for years to come!! P.S. Cabela's has some great sales going because they have to change over to the BPS Tracker line of boats, plus they give a good veteran's discount on top of the sales. Attachment 9670Attachment 9671Attachment 9670Attachment 9671
    Sweet ride.
    I like the .125 hull too. One of the few if not the only production hull with that option in that size hull.
    Depending on where you fish a coating of K5 might be in order. That would make it about as bulletproof as it can be.
    I'm not sure but I think the 60/40 is the largest you can get on that hull and keep the USG certification. That might have changed since I looked last. I always said G3 and Lowe underrate their smaller hulls to drive sales towards their larger hulls. I have no doubt the 1660 class hulls from either G3 or Lowe can handle a 90/65 and be well within USG specs.
    By the way... my brother moved his outboard battery forward in his G3 1656 and it made a nice difference in performance. He also spent a good bit of time playing with the outboard height to dial the pump into the tunnel. His is a 60/40 Yamaha 4 stroke jet.... all of those little jets need a little help to wring out as much performance as you can get.
    Take good care of it and you'll have a blast on the water for the rest of your life.

Thank you Doug! Yes, they have reclassified and you can get the 90/65 on that hull. Cabela's in Richmond, VA
    had this one in stock as is and it was a big savings since they already had the Trackers on the lot ready to go.
    They are giving a lot of incentives on the Lowe and Alumacraft boats. Anyway, I had been looking at a custom
    but I just couldn't justify with where I fish, I see a few smaller rocks, 3-4 foot depths, and a lot of sand bars and mud.
    I think this will do me well for years, but, I also bought a good insurance policy on it. I would be interested in a coating,
    or, maybe even a sheet of UHMW. I've been looking at the links and threads on here. My prior trials were with a Carolina
    Skiff with jet OB, and a Gheenoe with a prop. I think I'm much better now than either of those, just need to adapt a little
    and customize.

I moved to the lowest trim holes with the bolt stops, and it planes well. I also filled the livewell and it made some difference too. I'm very satisfied with the trim so far since moving it
    some. I bought a Deckhand 25 and I think when I get that installed up by the trolling motor along with the anchor it should be about right. Running at 19-22 MPH it looks like the draft is
    right around 4-5 inches, the motor is completely above the boat bottom, and I ran in some skinny, stump filled water last weekend with not a bump so I'm impressed thus far!!

Thank you Doug! Yes, they have reclassified and you can get the 90/65 on that hull. Cabela's in Richmond, VA
    had this one in stock as is and it was a big savings since they already had the Trackers on the lot ready to go.
    They are giving a lot of incentives on the Lowe and Alumacraft boats. Anyway, I had been looking at a custom
    but I just couldn't justify with where I fish, I see a few smaller rocks, 3-4 foot depths, and a lot of sand bars and mud.
    I think this will do me well for years, but, I also bought a good insurance policy on it. I would be interested in a coating,
    or, maybe even a sheet of UHMW. I've been looking at the links and threads on here. My prior trials were with a Carolina
    Skiff with jet OB, and a Gheenoe with a prop. I think I'm much better now than either of those, just need to adapt a little
    and customize.
    Glad to see they stopped underrating the small hulls... it was a scam. Sounds like you snagged a nice deal given BassPro wanted them gone.
    The K5 coating is the real deal or so says the guys who have it. There are guys on the forum who know more about K5 than I do. Everything I've read has been positive. Some have it sprayed on 1/2 thick which seems like overkill to me. I know the hull has to be stripped of its rigging and flipped over to put on the coating.
    UHMW is pretty expensive and driving all of those screws into a brand new hull bottom would be mentally tough to do. Mine has a 3/8 layer of UHMW screwed in. I'd have a tough time doing it if I owned a new boat.
    I wouldn't take my boat to the water without a good insurance policy. Mine is a 100% replacement policy.
    Those Gheenoe hulls always interested me but at my age I won't put up with a narrow wobbly hull. Mine is so stable I can have a square dance in it... LOL
    The custom hulls come into the picture when a guy wants more than a 1660 class hull. In your case I suspect had you went with the 90/65 you would have been close to a custom hull cost. The 1660 class with a 60/40 is priced well enough below a custom hull to make it a workable option. Personally and I don't want to offend anyone... none of the new 1860 class production hulls are worth what they want for them when the same money will buy a custom hull.

I moved to the lowest trim holes with the bolt stops, and it planes well. I also filled the livewell and it made some difference too. I'm very satisfied with the trim so far since moving it
    some. I bought a Deckhand 25 and I think when I get that installed up by the trolling motor along with the anchor it should be about right. Running at 19-22 MPH it looks like the draft is
    right around 4-5 inches, the motor is completely above the boat bottom, and I ran in some skinny, stump filled water last weekend with not a bump so I'm impressed thus far!!
    I'm not knocking the little 60/40 jets on the 1660 class hulls. My brother's G3 1656 did well after his fine tuning. With the hull being close to underpowered one has to be inventive to get all of the available HP they can get. While fine tuning is important for any jet it is especially important for the smaller jets. Does yours have the splash guard? Some do and some don't... and some need it and some don't.

I'm not knocking the little 60/40 jets on the 1660 class hulls. My brother's G3 1656 did well after his fine tuning. With the hull being close to underpowered one has to be inventive to get all of the available HP they can get. While fine tuning is important for any jet it is especially important for the smaller jets. Does yours have the splash guard? Some do and some don't... and some need it and some don't.[/QUOTE]

The Gheenoe is a fun little boat, but, the max HP is 10 so a jet isn't an option. I ran an 8HP Yamaha on mine, and it did ok but it was just a matter of time before a catastrophe. Mine does not have the splash guard, and it's not too bad although I think I may look into one in the future.

Yearling Scott F is on a distinguished road
    ..... I bought a Deckhand 25 and I think when I get that installed up by the trolling motor along with the anchor it should be about right.
    I had a deckhand 25 on my last boat. It had a difficult time raising a 12lb anchor. That anchor would not even slow down my boat in any kind of current. I found that an anchor system, next to the motor, is the most important piece of gear on my river boat. For my new boat, I went with a serious 55 pound chain anchor system.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I had a deckhand 25 on my last boat. It had a difficult time raising a 12lb anchor. That anchor would not even slow down my boat in any kind of current. I found that an anchor system, next to the motor, is the most important piece of gear on my river boat. For my new boat, I went with a serious 55 pound chain anchor system.
    Nice... Is that a River Larry system?

Smallie Al A is on a distinguished road
    Here in the Ozarks, there are a LOT of Blazer jetboats up to 1852 or 1856 size with 60/40 motors, because one of the more popular rivers to use them on is the Current River, Ozark National Scenic Riverways, which has a 40 hp limit. Properly set up, these boats run in the mid 20 mph range in less than 4 inches of water. So yeah, a smaller jet CAN be very effective. Of course, in the Ozarks we don't have ledge rock, so we don't need the armor on the bottom--the Blazers like mine are .100 gauge aluminum. Mine is a 1652 with a 40/30 Evinrude, and I'm plenty happy with its performance.

Yearling Scott F is on a distinguished road
    No, It's from Tracy's Custom River Boats. At one time, he made them for River Larry's, but now he builds them for himself. I just picked up this Blazer 16X48 that Tracy's customized. The anchor system was what made me go with Tracy.

+ Reply to Thread