+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: G3 CCJ Yamaha115/80

Small Fry RFitz60 is on a distinguished road

G3 CCJ Yamaha115/80

Hi All,
    Just joined this group after reading some of this Great information for some time now. I ordered a 2018 G3 CCJ which should be in by Dec 1.
    If anyone has one of these boats and could give me any tips on Trolling motors, Fish Finders, Battery Charger...ect......Im in the informatiom gathering stage right now. Thanks

Great black Friday deals on a Lowrance Hook 9...big and all you will need...put a hook 7 up front( 299$ on promo)

Get a 36volt, 112 lb minnkota...DO NOT get a 24v 80lb regardless of what people say you can get away with. No 24v yes 36 volt

Batteries..bunch of theories and approaches..i like Deka...31 series ...get big

Charger..get a minnkota digital 4 bank.
    Team Hotbatch
    Team Yumling
    Team Wincos Erie Darter ripoff is the bomb
    Team Rocksleeper
    Hostess Pro Staff
    Krispy Kreme staff member
    Gurkha Stoagie field tester

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ogbudha View Post
    Great black Friday deals on a Lowrance Hook 9...big and all you will need...put a hook 7 up front( 299$ on promo)

Get a 36volt, 112 lb minnkota...DO NOT get a 24v 80lb regardless of what people say you can get away with. No 24v yes 36 volt

Batteries..bunch of theories and approaches..i like Deka...31 series ...get big

Charger..get a minnkota digital 4 bank.

X2 on the MinnKota charger. I have a three bank on my ponton and like it. Not sure if it is a pulse charge which is a nice feature to break up sulfation.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._to_prevent_it

I like these batteries sold at Sam's Club. They are made by Deka and sold to Sam's with a Duracell label. The same battery is sold at Bass Pro for a lot more. Three of these bad boys will make a nice hole in your wallet but if you keep them on the charger religiously they will last 8-10 years. The WORST thing you can do to a marine battery is let it sit around with a low charge through the winter.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...to:product:1:1

BTW... my 1754 JRJ absolutely has to have a 36 volt motor and even then in high water it works its tail off. I converted mine to use i-Pilot.

I'm not sold on high end fishfinders on a river jet. I have one of these I mainly use for water temp indication. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lawrence hook 9......I don't see anything like 299.00 price
    How would I hook up a 36 volt trolling motor? This boat is prewired for 24 volts.
    I will have to check out and learn more about batteries.I appreciate all comments and help, I only want to do this once..

Smallie Doug25427 is on a distinguished road Doug25427's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFitz60 View Post
    How would I hook up a 36 volt trolling motor? This boat is prewired for 24 volts.
    I will have to check out and learn more about batteries.I appreciate all comments and help, I only want to do this once..
    The 24 to 36 volt conversion isn't so bad. You have the correct attitude... do it once and do it right without cutting corners.
    I guess the toughest part would be having the room to add the third battery near the other two. The wiring happens at the three batteries. I doubt the wiring from the battery area to the bow area would have to be changed assuming it is prewired to the bow... and it is at least #8 wire.
    I have seen some use #10 wire which is too small and some will use cheesy wire connectors to the batteries. They set themselves up to do the same work over and over.
    Ideally #6 wire using heavy duty battery terminal type wire connectors that are shrink tube wrapped.
    I have all of the stuff to do it myself but if I didn't I'd take the boat to a battery shop. They have the wire, connectors and the crimp tool.
    You can get by with #8 wire.... but when I say "wire" I mean marine or automotive stranded wire not the kind of wire used inside homes.
    You'll need a circuit breaker for the motor... MinnKota sells them.
    Here is a wiring diagram I made up for my boat. I have it glued to the inside of the battery compartment hatch. Notice you can tap Battery One for 12 volts to operate other devices. That means using the positive and the negative sides of Battery One only. Doing this will have no effect on the 36 volt circuit and is completely safe to do.
    36 volt system 02.JPG

What Ben and Doug said, spot on with the 36 volt I pilot. like Doug I only use a D/f for its simple temp and depth functions but I guess it would be nice for gps if so desired.
    Good luck with your new rig! If you get it on the 1st you will have it in time for some good fishing!

Yearling Poopdeck is on a distinguished road
    few things are as enjoyable as outfitting your new boat. I say take your time, take your boat out a few times to see how it runs and functions before putting anything in the boat. I'm with whoever else said they use their fish finder for water temp. I like to know water temp just cause I'm curious. Anything else a fishfinder offers is of little use to me. To many out there for me to recommend one over another. Just get one with a high resolution or you won't be able see the screen in bright sun.

On board battery charger is a must. Again, take your pick.

As for a trolling motor that's really dependent on how your going to use your boat. I have an 18 1/2 wide body Wooldridge with a .190 hull. It's a heavy boat. My trolling motor is a 12V and it does everything I need it to do. I use it to keep the boat straight during drifts and to scoot a little left and right to avoid obstacles or to get through a shute. I don't use it to hold in current. I have an anchor for that. It will hold at the tail end of an eddy just fine. I don't use it to move about the river. I don't fish electric motor only lakes in my river boat. I don't have a foot pedal I have a handle. A foot pedal is just another thing for my flyline to hang up in. All of my needs are met with a 12V and I don't want to add more weight when it's not a necessity. Your needs may be different so identify your needs and intended use first.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the process.its great fun.
    Last edited by Poopdeck; 11-08-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Great info guys. I'm thinking high thrust for me as I like launching when its still dark and creep along trolling slow untill the sun comes up.
    I live close to the Delaware Watergap And get down there before most people get uo.Its a great feeling being the only one down there that early. Makes me feel like I own it...lol

Quote Originally Posted by RFitz60 View Post
    You won't. It's a Black Friday special at one of our favorite outdoor stores

36 volt set up is easy. Dump that 24. Do it right the first time.
    Team Hotbatch
    Team Yumling
    Team Wincos Erie Darter ripoff is the bomb
    Team Rocksleeper
    Hostess Pro Staff
    Krispy Kreme staff member
    Gurkha Stoagie field tester

Smallie bobothewizard is on a distinguished road
    I have the 2015 model. Did you order it from Lakeside? When JC set mine up with the 36v trolling motor we went with smaller batteries to save on weight. 26 series or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread